Dr. B L Kapur, an eminent Obstetrician and Gynaecologist, set up a Charitable Hospital in 1930 at Lahore. In 1947, he moved to post-partition India and set up a Maternity Hospital at Ludhiana. In 1956 on the invitation of the then Prime Minister, Dr. B L Kapur initiated the project for setting up a 200 bed hospital in Delhi. The hospital was inaugurated by the Prime Minister, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru on 2nd January, 1959.
By 1984, when the hospital celebrated its Silver Jubilee, it was an expanding hospital well on its way to becoming Delhi’s premier multispecialty institute. Services offered included General Surgery, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry, Pulmonology, Intensive Care and Orthopaedics, apart from mother & child care.
A factor of much importance to the hospital was the health of the community. Enthusiastic doctors held camps and public health talks to improve the status of community health in the area.
- BLK-Max Super Speciality Hospital was redeveloped and re-launched as a Multi Super Speciality facility with 650 bed capacity including 125 beds dedicated to critical care and 20 modular operation theatres, offering seamlessly integrated healthcare service to patients.
- The Hospital became the youngest in India to achieve the prestigious NABH and NABL accreditations.
- BLK-Max has established multiple Centres of Excellence which provide the latest in health care to patients. These include:
- Cancer Centre
- Centre for Bone Marrow Transplant
- Heart Centre
- Centre for Neurosciences
- Institute for Digestive & Liver Diseases
- Centre for Renal Sciences & Kidney Transplant
- Institute for Bone, Joint Replacement, Orthopedics Spine & Sports Medicine
- Centre for Chest & Respiratory Diseases
- Centre for Plastic & Cosmetic Surgery
- Centre for Child Health
- Centre for Critical Care
The Hospital has always supported economically challenged patients and participated in all local and national health programs.
By 1984, when the Hospital celebrated its Silver Jubilee, it was expanding and was well on its way of becoming Delhi's premier Multi-Speciality Institute. Services offered included General Medicine, Plastic Surgery, General Surgery, Dialysis, Ophthalmology, ENT, Dentistry Pulmonology, Intensive Care and Orthopaedics, apart from Mother & Child Care.
The then Prime Minister of India, Pt. Jawahar Lal Nehru invited Dr. B L Kapur to set up a hospital in Delhi.Dr. Kapur responded by setting up an institution providing primary and secondary care medical services of the highest order under the aegis of the Lahore Hospital Society in Delhi in 1959.
Dr. B L Kapur's passion and dedication for achieving his dream was such that he would often add his own income to the Hospital's coffers, sacrificing even his basic needs.
Lahore Hospital Society was registered in 1942. The very first members of the Lahore Hospital Society were some of the most eminent doctors and philanthropists of the time, who contributed vastly to the building and running of the Hospital.