1. Surgical Process: Oncologists use the following types of surgical process to remove tumour from the body:
- Mastectomy: It is a skin-sparing surgery that removes the whole breast with tumour.
- Lumpectomy/Breast Conservation Surgery: Removal of lump around the breast with 1 cm axillary lymph clearance.
- Breast Reconstruction Surgery: Reconstructive surgery helps in correcting deformities and restoring normal function after cancer related treatments. It aims to achieve the best possible repair outcomes for treatment-related damage. It is done along with or after Mastectomy/Lumpectomy.
2. Radiation Therapy: Involves the use of high-energy waves to kill cancer cells. Advanced Radiation Therapy used for Breast Cancer treatment include:
- Single Dose Intra-operative Radiation Therapy (IORT)
- 3DConformal Partial Breast Irradiation (CPBI)
3. Chemotherapy: Involves the use of powerful medicines to kill cancer cells
4. Hormone Therapy: Involves the use of hormonal drugs like estrogens to prevent hormones from fuelling the growth of Breast Cancer cells
5. Targeted Therapy: This therapy targets cancer specific genes, proteins or the tissue environment that contribute to cancer growth and survival
6. Immunotherapy: This therapy involves the use of medicines that prompt the body's immune system or natural defences to destroy cance.
A patient might get Chemotherapy, Hormone Therapy or Targeted Therapy along with surgery or radiation. This approach helps in killing the left behind cancer cells, during other forms of treatment.