Getting diagnosed with breast cancer can have a devastating effect on a person, emotionally, mentally, and financially. Fortunately, if breast cancer is detected early and proper medical care is given to the patient, there is a high probability that the person will lead a long and content life.
But to get the most out of your life following a breast cancer treatment, you need to take precautions and make certain changes to your lifestyle. Here are a few tips that will help you lead a normal life.
Putting on weight
- Post breast cancer treatment, you may gain a lot of weight. This can impact your overall look. So it is imperative to get back into shape through exercise and other physical activities.
- Include light exercises in your daily routine. A brisk walk early in the morning or in the evening, with yoga and other light exercises for approximately half an hour every day, will help you maintain your health and reduce weight.
- Along with medication, remaining inactive is also a cause of weight gain. So, do not lead a sedentary lifestyle. The more inactive you are, the more weight you will put on. Apart from affecting your physique and self-confidence, it can also lead to the recurrence of breast cancer.
- If you are a working woman, you may have to take time off for treatment and rest. But when you feel that you have fully recovered and you will not be fatigued by office work and traveling, you should rejoin the office. This is the best way to put your life back on track.
- However, the recovery period varies from one person to the other. Some breast cancer patients might need a few weeks or maybe months to fully recover, while others may take only a few days.
- It is advisable to consult your doctor about when you can join the office and the precautions that need to be taken.
- Post the surgery, you may feel tired. This may be due to medication, chemotherapy, surgery, radiotherapy, etc. Despite resting and having sufficient sleep, you may still feel tired all through the day. But by taking certain steps you can fight fatigue and feel refreshed.
- Many times, this exhaustion may also be due to the lack of water. So drink plenty of water. Take a nutritious diet, especially those foods that will boost your energy levels like dried fruits and nuts, vegetables, lean proteins, whole-grain foods, bananas, etc.
- Though you need sufficient rest, try to be active in the evening. Resting in the evening can impact your sleep at night.
- Get in touch with your doctor to get to know some other effective steps that will help you fight fatigue.
- During breast cancer treatment, you will have to undergo chemotherapy. Though breast cancer chemotherapyis a necessary part of treatment, it may also lead to hair loss.
- Fortunately, hair loss is not permanent and you will regain your hair in a few months post-treatment.
- But the time the patient is suffering from hair loss can be very traumatic and may also lower one’s self-esteem. There is no need to worry as there are many ways to overcome this issue like using natural hair accessories. You can rely on these accessories until the time your hair grows back.
- Hot flushes are another issue faced by many patients and can be very discomforting.
- These menopausal symptoms are mainly due to chemotherapy, hormone endocrine therapy, etc, and maybe a mild warming sensation that affects the face.
- On the worst side, the patient may feel heat waves which can affect the entire body.
- Hot flushes are very uncomfortable but there are ways to other get rid of them or lessen their effect. Always wear cotton garments, but make sure not to wear tight clothes.
- Drink enough water and try to keep a water bottle with you at all times. In case of a hot flush, you can instantly drink water to cool yourself off.
- Take special care of your diet and avoid spicy food or drinks that have caffeine.
- Also, stay away from alcohol. If you experience a hot flush on your face, cool it down by splashing water.
These simple steps will help you remain cool and beat hot flushes.
Finding social support
- After you have undergone breast cancer treatment, you will not want to share the problems and struggles that you have faced with other people. This will only worsen the situation. Talking about your issues with your loved ones, be it family members or friends, will help you to heal faster.
- Besides your family members, you can also meet a counselor who will guide you and help you recover quickly and effectively. The more open you are about your issues with your near and dear ones, the better it will be for you.
There are numerous side effects of breast cancer treatment. The changes may affect you physically or emotionally. But you can easily overcome the issues. If you or any of your loved ones need to undergo breast cancer treatment, you need to get it done from a reputed hospital.
BLK-Max is one of the finest hospitals in the country and comprises a team of highly experienced doctors and surgeons, along with the best amenities and superior medical infrastructure. So, hopefully, the above-mentioned tips will enable you to once again lead a normal life after undergoing breast cancer treatment.