With more than 2 lakh people every year diagnosed with kidney diseases in India and about 3.5 to 4 lakh case prevalent in the country, renal disease is a rising epidemic. The rising population transcends the natural factors for contracting such ailments, age being one of them. But now this disease is catching on early in life and is also taking people in the age of 30- 40 in its ambit. Modern lifestyle is inducing more stress and unhealthy habits in younger generation are making them prone to renal diseases. Diabetes and hypertension coupled with obesity are adding to the milieu of problems leading to kidney diseases. Exposure to polluted food, water and air also has taken a big toll on the health.
Since most of these diseases are lifestyle generated, there are a few precautions you can take to reduce the risk of renal diseases. To make things easier you can start with avoiding the 7 S’s leading to kidney failure. These are lifestyle generated diseases and can be monitored if you make adjustments in your lifestyle. These directives are called the 7 S to preserving your renal health. They are Stress, Smoke, Salt, Sugar, Sleep Lack, Sedentary Lifestyle and Spirit Free.
- Stress – stress is host to most of the diseases and renal problem is one of them. Today’s lifestyle is very demanding and fast which often has us pushing deadlines and constantly keeping us under extreme physical and mental constraints. Stress increases blood pressure and blood sugar levels, exposing body to stressful diabetogenic hormones in the body adding to the additional burden for your kidneys.
- Smoking - smoking is exceptionally bad for your health will make matters worse as the arteries may go in for prolonged spasm, preventing blood supply to major organs like the kidney. It also interferes with the medication for high blood pressure.
- Salt - a high salt intake diet alters sodium balance, making kidneys vulnerable to overwork and increasing the blood pressure.
- Sugar – intake of sugar and artificial sweeteners must be minimised as it leads to obesity which in turn causes diabetes (diabesity) and high blood pressure.
- Sleep – sleep insufficiency is harmful for your overall health as that is the time when your organs replenish and restore their utility to enable you to meet the vigour of next day. Sleep less than 7 hours is a major risk factor for heart attacks.
- Sedentary - sedentary lifestyle is a major contributor to kidney ailments and it quickly multiplies other risk factors like obesity, high blood sugar and high blood pressure.
- Spirit – spirit or alcohol increases the blood sugar level which is a catalyst to kidney ailments. Besides weakening the liver and heart, it may also contribute to pot belly.
If you can religiously follow these we can then together reduce the chances of kidney ailments and Chronic Kidney Diseases. These are moderations and adjustments in your lifestyle which will not only give you a healthy body and mind but also refine your outlook towards life.