Dr. Sanjay Singh Negi

Dr. Sanjay Singh Negi
Director and Sr. Consultant
BLK Centre for HPB Surgery
& Liver Transplant
BLK Super Speciality
Hospital, New Delhi

A Second Shot at Life

A classic case of Living Donor Liver Transplant
after Cirrhosis


A 34-year-old man from Nauru was struggling with Cirrhosis since 2014, owing to a case of Hepatitis B related chronic liver disease with a significant history of alcohol intake. To begin with, he had multiple incidences of bloody vomitings where he had lost around a litre of blood. The patient had to undergo multiple episodes of endoscopy guided banding for oesophageal varices to control this life-threatening complications. The facility for Liver Transplant was not available in his country. Beginning early 2016, the patient started to develop abdominal swelling due to accumulation of fluid in his abdomen, despite being on diuretics for control of ascites, along with other dreaded and complicated symptoms of Cirrhosis. The only real curative option for his end stage liver disease was Liver Transplant.


In September of 2016, the patient came in contact with Dr. Sanjay Singh Negi, Director and Sr. Consultant, BLK Centre for HPB Surgery & Liver Transplant. The patient was made aware of the requirement of Liver Transplant and all his fears and concerns regarding the same were addressed. His cousin brother was found to be a suitable blood group compatible donor. However, the potential donor was overweight with a high body-mass index and was put on a strict weight loss regime. Post his weight-loss, complete donor evaluation was done and eventually, in October 2016, the patient underwent a Living Donor Liver Transplant.


The surgery was smooth and uneventful. The donor recovered well and was discharged on post operative day 7. The recipient himself showed remarkable recovery and was shifted out of the ICU on day 5. The patient was gradually started on oral diet and then moved onto normal diet. He was discharged on post operative day 20. The patient spent few weeks in India under doctors’ supervision on outpatient basis until his immunosuppression was regularised. Within 2 months of landing in India, he was raring to fly back to Nauru looking forward to a new life, a second innings.